Glio-Vascular Imaging Group
Dr. Nagelhus` research team at NCMM explores roles of astrocytes in neurological disorders by in vivo two-photon laser scanning microscopy. This minimally invasive technique offers real-time imaging of physiological and pathophysiological processes in the brain of living animals. Through a cranial window or the thinned skull, we study the dynamics of neuronal and glial calcium signalling, cell morphology, metabolism and cerebral blood flow.
In vivo two-photon imaging of astroglial Ca2+ signals during osmotically induced brain edema.
(Thrane et al, 2011. PNAS 108(2):846-51).
See free full text article and research highlight in Nat. Rev. Neurosci.
Nagelhus is Professor in Physiology and runs the neuroimaging activity in Letten Centre and GliaLab at the Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Domus Medica, Sognsvannsveien 9.
Erlend A. Nagelhus
P. Johannes Helm
|Klas H. Pettersen|
|Anna E. Thoren|
|PhD students||Vigdis Andersen Eidsvaag*|
Gry Fluge Vindedal
|Medical students||Didrik Bakke Dukefoss|
|Alumni||Nadia Nabil Haj-Yasein (completed PhD in 2012)|
|Alexander Stanley Thrane (completed PhD in 2013)|
Vinita Rangroo Thrane (completed PhD in 2013)
Georg Andreas Gundersen (completed PhD in 2013)
Cecile E. Bugge (completed thesis at the Medical Student Research Programme in 2014)
|Photos and contact information for group members.|
- Rangroo Thrane V, Thrane AS, Wang F, Cotrina ML, Smith NA, Chen M, Xu Q, Kang N, Fujita T, Nagelhus EA, Nedergaard M (2013). Ammonia triggers neuronal disinhibition and seizures by impairing astrocyte potassium buffering. Nat. Med .19:1643-8.
- Nagelhus EA, Ottersen OP (2013) Physiological roles of aquaporin-4 in brain. Physiol. Rev. 93:1543-62.
- Thrane AS, Rangroo Thrane V, Zeppenfeld D, Lou N, Xu Q, Nagelhus EA, Nedergaard, M (2013) General anesthesia selectively disrupts astrocyte calcium signaling in the awake mouse cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109: 18974-9.
- Iliff JJ, Wang M, Liao Y, Plogg BA, Peng W, Gundersen GA, Benveniste H, Vates GE, Deane R, Nagelhus EA, Nedergaard M (2012). A brain-wide glio-vascular pathway facilitates the clearance of interstitial solutes including amyloid β. Science Translational Medicine 15;4(147):147ra111.
- Haj-Yasein NN, Vindedal GF, Eilert-Olsen M, Gundersen GA, Skare Ø, Laake P, Klungland A, Thorén AE, Burkhardt JM, Ottersen OP, Nagelhus EA (2011). Glial-conditional deletion of aquaporin-4 (Aqp4) reduces blood-brain water uptake and confers barrier function on perivascular astrocyte endfeet. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108(43):17815-20.
- Thrane AS, Rappold PM, Fujita T, Penja AT, Bekar L, Enger R, Haj-Yasein NN, Rangroo V, Skare O, Klungland A, Holen T, Ottersen OP, Nedergaard M, and Nagelhus EA (2011) Critical role of aquaporin-4 (AQP4) in astrocytic Ca2+ signaling events elicited by cerebral edema. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108(2):846-51.
- Nagelhus EA, Horio Y, Inanobe A, Fujita A, Haug FM, Nielsen S, Kurachi Y, Ottersen OP. Immunogold evidence suggests that coupling of K+ siphoning and water transport in rat retinal Muller cells is mediated by a coenrichment of Kir4.1 and AQP4 in specific membrane domains. Glia 26:47-54, 1999
- Nielsen S*, Nagelhus EA*, Amiry-Moghaddam M, Bourque C, Agre P, Ottersen OP (1997). Specialized membrane domains for water transport in glial cells: high-resolution immunogold cytochemistry of aquaporin-4 in rat brain. J Neurosci. 17:171-80. *Nielsen and Nagelhus contributed equally.
Full list of Dr. Nagelhus's publications.
* Vigdis Andersen Eidsvaag is associated member, employed at OUS Rikshospitalet (Eide Group)